Visa Options for Pharmacists

Exploring career pathways as a pharmacist in Australia? Let's navigate your visa options! 🌏 From the Skilled Nominated Visa to the Employer-Sponsored Visa, each offers unique benefits and prerequisites. Whether you're aiming to work in specific regions or pursue professional development, there's a visa tailored to your goals. Let's unlock your journey Down Under Australia! 🇦🇺

Neha Jukanti

5/15/20242 min read

The actual task after qualifying KAPS exam and having a score of English language test in hand is to choose the appropriate visa for desired immigration to Australia as a pharmacist. There are multiple visa options available with many differences in benefits and perquisites after passing the KAPS examination. The candidate must be mindful and to be particular while choosing the visa depending on their individual choices and situations. The below are different types of visa options available for the pharmacist’s after clearing the KAPS and mentioning eligibility, how to Apply and their benefits

Skilled Nominated Visa (Subclass 190)

Ø This visa is granted for the overseas pharmacists who receives a nomination from a state or territory government facing a pharmacist shortage (definitely priorities to serve the needs in specific areas, limiting initial location flexibility). By receiving a nomination, the candidates have high chances of getting an invitation to apply.

Ø This visa is to be applied through Skill Select after receiving a nomination from a chosen state or territory with specific occupation lists and application processes.

Skilled regional provisional visa (Subclass 491 visa)

The 491 visa is a skilled regional provisional visa for the individuals who want to live and work in regional Australia. It requires sponsorship by a state or territory government or sponsorship by an eligible relative living in a designated regional area.

Ø The overseas pharmacist must satisfy the points test to get this visa.

Ø The candidate can stay in Australia for 5 years to live, work and study in a designated regional area of Australia.

Ø He/she can travel to and from Australia as many times as you want, while the visa is valid.

Ø The overseas pharmacists can apply for permanent residence after 3 years from the time your 491 visa is granted.

Employer-Sponsored Visa (Subclass 482)/ Temporary Skill Shortage (TSS) Visa

Ø The overseas pharmacists must secure confirmed employment offer and sponsorship from an Australian employer and then apply for the visa with their employer's support. This visa provides faster processing times and it is a potential pathway to permanent residency after fulfilling visa conditions.

Ø The pharmacist after passing the KAPS examination who looks for the short-term work opportunities (2-4 years) to fill the immediate short term need of staff in specific regions or employers. This visa can be applied through sponsorship from an employer who are in need of pharmacists. There is a chance in transition to permanent residency after fulfilling visa conditions and proving ongoing need.

Training visa (Subclass 407 visa)

Ø The overseas candidates can migrate to Australia on a temporary basis to participate in occupational training or professional development. This visa allows the KAPS-qualified candidate to stay in Australia for up to two years, during which they can participate in structured training provided by the sponsor.

Ø To be eligible for the 407 visa, the KAPS-qualified candidate typically needs to be sponsored by any pharmacies, dispensaries, drug store, hospitals, etc., (approved by an Australian organization or government agency). The KAPS-qualified candidate also needs to meet certain health and character requirements.

Ø Overall, the 407 visa offers a great opportunity for KAPS-qualified individuals to enhance their skills and knowledge in Australia while experiencing its culture and lifestyle.